Hi!

My name is Alyse Hoshowski and I am a 25-year-old in the Bachelor of Education program at Thompson Rivers University. I was born and raised in Kamloops B.C. I attended Summit Elementary and then Sahali Secondary for highschool. My desire to be a teacher came about in a way I did not expect.

Once I graduated highschool in 2012 I took some time off school because I really wasn’t sure what I wanted to do. I spent my time working, hanging out with friends and investing time in my hobbies. Some of my hobbies are reading, writing, painting and refurbishing old furniture. In 2013 I had the opportunity to go nanny in Holland so I did that for about 6 months. While I was living there, I made strong relationships with the children I nannied for but I wasn’t confident enough in myself to consider being a teacher. Instead, I decided to pursue a social work career. In 2014 I started at TRU taking my prerequisites for the social work program. In 2017 I applied to the program but unfortunately did not get accepted. It was disappointing because I had made many friends who went on into the program and I didn’t. I was discouraged but decided to apply again the following year. Shortly after that, however, on a wim I decided to go and visit my friend (who is a teacher) and come see her new classroom. Once I walked in and met her students I felt such a great feeling. I can’t even explain it, but I remember looking around and thinking “I can do this”. Everything was a whirlwind after that. I enrolled in six classes to complete my 90 credits, got a job at the YMCA for my required hours and started volunteering in a classroom as well. Four months after that I applied to the program! I felt so happy and proud of myself. Unfortunately, I did not get in to the program that year. I started to doubt myself. I couldn’t get into the social work program, and now I didn’t get into the teaching program. The fall of 2018 was tough but I picked myself back up and took some courses to bring up my GPA. I also volunteered in another classroom because I was going to apply to the program again. In April of 2019 I got my acceptance letter from TRU for the Bachelor of Education program! It really showed me that life will knock you down and you have to pick yourself up and keep trying. If you work hard and believe in yourself, it will pay off.