Practicum Reflective Journal 

This was the second week at Pacific Way in the grade 6/7 class with Cynthia and I already feel that I am getting a feel for the classroom. I am happy that Cynthia is my Teacher Mentor because she is really knowledgeable and always has great advice for me. I know I am going to learn a lot from her. 

One classroom strategy that Cynthia uses that I can see myself using in the future is the use of popsicle sticks with the student’s names on it. Whenever students need to be put into groups, or whether they are getting picked to do a “job” around the classroom, Cynthia always pulls from the collection she has. I think that this is a great strategy because it is all at random and it doesn’t create any negative behavior or feelings. Also, it does not look like you are favoriting any other students. This type of classroom strategy resonated with me because I would hate it when my elementary school teacher would say “Find a partner!” because it caused me anxiety and stress. Usually, I was the student who would end up the last to get picked or not get picked at all which affected my self-esteem. Another example is in my grade 7 class we also had “jobs” we had to do around the classroom and I was always stuck with recycling. With Cynthia’s strategy, every student rotates jobs and nobody is stuck with the same job every time. I will definitely be using this classroom strategy in my classroom. 

Another classroom strategy Cynthia uses to transition between subjects is to get the students to get up and run a lap around the school. This helps get oxygen into their brains and wakes them up! She has done this on both Wednesdays that I have been there. It happens in the morning after the first subject because it seems the students are almost falling asleep. Even I noticed myself start to zone out a little bit. It’s a great strategy because the students love it and running gives them some endorphins to start the next lesson off in a positive way. I notice that the students come back and are more focused than they were beforehand. I can see myself incorporating movement into the classroom as I do feel it helps the students learn better. 

Although I have not been in another practicum I found this practicum very beneficial. It was my first practicum and I remember being very nervous. Once I got up in front of the class and started teaching I felt as though I was doing what I’ve been made to do. Something in my practicum that has still stuck with me, and that I feel that I will use in my own practicum was my TM’s use of popsicle sticks. As I stated above, my TM had students’ names on popsicle sticks and she would use them throughout the day. For example, when she needed someone to collect handouts or run to the office, or complete tasks, she would always use these. I thought it was a great way to be un biased when teaching.