“62 i. Make age-appropriate curriculum on residential schools, Treaties, and Aboriginal peoples’ historical and contemporary contributions to Canada a mandatory education requirement for Kindergarten to Grade Twelve students” 

Book: My name is Sepeetza – Shirley Sterling

I read this book in one of my courses in my undergrad and it was such an eye opener about what happened in the residential schools and the aftermath of its effects on the students and our society. The book is a journal about a young 12 year old girl who gets sent off to the residential school and how it affected her and her way of life. This book could be assigned from K-12 although a student’s understanding of the concepts would be better understood in older grades. 

Website: Where are the Children? 

This website is all about the children that were in the residential schools and the healing legacy that they have gone through. This is a great resource as it is very informative and easy to navigate for students to look at and educate themselves about the residential schools and its effects on the children that attended.  There are videos of the survivors that put the residential school experience into perspective. These videos are probably more appropriate for older grades but the website in general is great for all grades.

Video: Teaching About Residential Schools to Children 

I came across this video on youtube and I think it is a great resource to show students. It is not very long but it talks about what residential schools were and the rules that the students had to follow. It also shows drawings along with the explanation so that it is easy to follow. I think that this would be a better resource for younger grades because it is more of an untroubling perspective at the traumas it caused, but it is quite informative for all students.